Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 18:42:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 8/4/12, "Aere Greenway" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Where it has been stated that there are no fluidsynth
> dependencies on
> jack, I think you should re-examine that claim, based on the
> problems I
> encountered.

Fluidsynth can be compiled with just Alsa, no need for Jack.  So the claim is
valid.

What you see is the package requirements from your Ubuntu repositories.  Where
Ubuntu package folks decide to compile Fluidsynth with jack support, so that is
distro-related default requirements.  And it is common practice with most other
Linux distros, too.

Similarly the Linux kernel can be compiled for a cell phone with no supports,
or dependencies on PCI, PCI-X, PCI-E bus, VGA, XGA display, IDE hard drive,
parallel port...  Knowing that it can be done, but you probably don't want that
as your default boot-up kernel for your i386, or i586 PC.

Jimmy