Re: [fluid-dev] ALSA Raw connection (Re: Reading input from a MIDI devic

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] ALSA Raw connection (Re: Reading input from a MIDI device)
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:25:31 -0700

On 01/03/2014 03:13 PM, Vesa Paatero wrote:
But... how?  OK, let's "think aloud":  I have the MIDI device that sends
data. ALSA seems to connect to it automatically because the device
becomes visible to "aconnect -lio". So I just need need to figure out
the connection from ALSA to FluidSynth.. or should I say that I need
to tell FluidSynth where to look for the MIDI data to be forwarded
to the sound card. I guess I still have to specify the avenue of input
by the command line somehow but I haven't found anything appro-
priate.
Vesa:

I am a fluidsynth user (not a developer).

From my experience, I can suggest some ways to connect to fluidsynth.

Assuming you are using Linux (therefore having ALSA), you can use qjackctl (the ALSA tab of the dialog that appears when you click its "Connect" button) to connect a MIDI application that sends MIDI to fluidsynth. With fluidsynth running in a terminal, fluidsynth is visible in the ALSA tab of qjackctl's "Connect" window.

There are MIDI keyboard applications such as VMPK which can be used to test connecting to it. VMPK (using Edit...Connections) provides you a way to connect to MIDI devices (such as fluidsynth). I think in the past it didn't have that, because when I used it, I always used qjackctl to connect it to whatever device.

The way I usually use, is rather than using the fluidsynth command-line-interface, I use qsynth, which provides a GUI interface for using fluidsynth. But my preferences are for GUI interfaces.

But if what you are using to transmit to fluidsynth does not provide an ALSA device driver, you will have to use qjackctl (or something else, such as aconnect) to connect it (as described above).

I wrote an application that does provide an ALSA device driver, and it can see all the ALSA devices, and connect to them itself, under user control. Providing an ALSA device driver is a fair amount of work.

I have not tried aconnect, but I see it on my machine.

Just some ideas for you to consider.

--
Sincerely,
Aere