Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 15:02:13 +0100

> 1. We leave it as is, with the weird and in my opinion wrong behaviour

Why do you think it's wrong? According to the MIDI spec

"A Pan Controller [...] determines where a single sound source will be located
in a stereo field."

The "single sound source" is what I understand as "voice", as this is always a
"mono" sound source. If the soundfont says that this sample has a default pan
to the very right, applying CC10=0 will pan this voice to the center again. IMO
this is absolutely correct (no matter if this voice was created from a mono or
stereo sample) it's exactly what the user has requested since he used CC10. To
achieve the behaviour you described, the user should have used CC8. (well ok
CC8 is not yet implemented, so thanks that you'll take care of that!)

> 2. We disable panning completely for samples that are panned to -50 or 50
> in the SoundFont
> 3. We implement the balance logic for all samples that are panned to -50 or
> 50 (or even for samples with non-zero panning?) in the SoundFont and use
> the existing panning logic for everything else

IMO the user should be aware of this difference between CC8 and CC10, and I
dont think starting to disable or special case that in any way is a good
approach to fix or "work-it-around".

Tom