Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 13:55:36 -0700

On 01/02/2018 01:22 PM, Tom M. wrote:
Concerning the balance control, I'm wondering whether to implement it as a new
non-standard generator or rather as a stand-alone control. Any preferences?
I think the cleanest and least hacky implementation would be to use the modulator
functionality by introducing some non-standard "GEN_CUSTOM_BALANCE" generator.
Do we need a default CC8 to GEN_CUSTOM_BALANCE modulator with an optional setting to
switch this custom def. mod. off? Or should we solely rely on
fluid_synth_add_default_mod()?

Tom

Tom:

Using the Modulation control with the FluidR3_GM soundfont, causes a distorted sound for melodic instruments with vibrato. The creator of the FluidR3_GM soundfont, went with the idea that a sampled vibrato is better than what you get using the modulation control, so if you use modulation with it, you get a distorted sound.

I originally tried using the modulation wheel to control the relative loudness of the foreground and background voices,  as some other VST instruments do, but it also distorted the sound (because of the above), so I used the Balance control, which had no discernible side-effects.

Regardless, you can do whatever makes sense to you.  I am just indicating there are users taking advantage of the way things currently work, and changes may 'break' things that are working now.

Keep in mind, that you can do a lot with a MIDI router (such as qmidiroute), as I have already done.  Maybe some of these things are best done with a MIDI router, rather than in the synthesizer.

If you would like to look at my article explaining how to implement layered (composite) voices, using Qsynth, qmidiroute, and the KeyMusician Keyboard, you can read it at:

https://member.keymusician.com/Newsletter/CV-Balance/index.html

- Aere

--
Sincerely,