freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: Bugs in Pango

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: Bugs in Pango
Date: 08 Dec 2002 21:21:33 +0530

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 05:04, Kaushik Ghose wrote:
> Yo,
> I compiled pango1.1.4 and couldnt get bangla to work :(
>
> DO I need the xft backend thingy ?
>
> (I tried out the pango-viewer program)

Pango-viewer does not work on my system too.
However, you do need the xft backend

    The recommended font backend for X in Pango-1.2 is the Xft backend
    which uses version 2 of the Xft library to manage client
    side fonts. Benefits of the Xft backend include, performance,
    support for OpenType fonts, and antialiasing. Version 2 of
    Xft is available from http://keithp.com/fonts/. The 'fcpackage'
    tarball includes both Xft, and it's dependency, 'fontconfig'.

-cheers-
sdg

    --
    Sayamindu Dasgupta [ http://www.peacefulaction.org/sayamindu/ ]

           * GNU is Not Unix *
    .... Towards World Liberation ....
            http://www.gnu.org

    There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one
works.