freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: Bugs in Pango

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: Bugs in Pango
Date: 08 Dec 2002 21:22:01 +0530

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 05:18, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> My experiences with pango haven't been that good, mainly because I don't work
> on Redhat. Debian (the distribution I do work on) has packages for pango
> 1.0.5, and gedit doesn't show bengali characters with that. I'm not sure if
> that has to do with the version of pango or the way fonts are registered with
> pango on debian. I did compile pango 1.1.4 (in /usr/local), but I'm not sure
> how to make applications use that instead of the older libraries.

Download some latest Gedit2 src, and then while compiling, specify the
$LIBDIR as /usr/local/

> Anyway, for what it's worth, I think pango-viewer is no longer maintained
> properly by the pango people, and it probably doesn't work with later
> versions of qt (I asked on the gtk-i18n mailing list once, but didn't get a
> reply, so I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I once read something to this
> effect some other place).
>
> Any idea when the next official release of pango is going to be ?

The 1.1x branch is the development branch, and probably the next stable
release will be 1.2
Also, can someone volunteer to fix the pango Bengali module himself ??
It will be less trouble, and will take lesser time (the guys at
Malayalam linux did  it)
-cheers-
sdg
--
Sayamindu Dasgupta [ http://www.peacefulaction.org/sayamindu/ ]

       * GNU is Not Unix *
.... Towards World Liberation ....
        http://www.gnu.org

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one
works.