[Freecats-Dev] Java- & Python-based Web servers / Python links

From: Henri Chorand
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] Java- & Python-based Web servers / Python links
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:14:34 +0100

Kirk and all,

I think I'd better answer this on the Dev-list...

> Objet: Pour info - serveur web en java
>
> http://www.javascript.nu/xerver/

It does seem really nice in terms of simplicity / power / (GPL) license.
If we find the same stuff in Python, we'll obtain maximum consistency from
the start.

I browsed the Python foundry on Source Forge and find their search function
hopeless.

O'Reilly links for Python:
http://www.onlamp.com/python/
Including "read on line" Python & XML:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/01/08/py-xml.html
http://safari.oreilly.com/?XmlId=0-596-00128-2

Here is what I also found directly on Python site:
http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-BaseHTTPServer.html
Seems very fine.
See also:
http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-SimpleXMLRPCServer.html
All this seems handy and looks rather readable if we are to build something
"from scratch".

I also used Copernic and found the following:
http://www.comlounge.net/webdav/
Seems dead - nothing new since December 2000.

http://skunkweb.sourceforge.net/
Seems active - see also at
http://www.opensourcedigest.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7

And if we feel we also need Apache:
http://www.modpython.org/
I did not find any corresponding entry in Apache's Web site
(http://httpd.apache.org/). If somebody else is more lucky/clever...

http://apache.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/document/sources/simpleHTTPServer/
- in German :-(
(seems not as unreadable as it may have been though)

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2001-May/001274.html
World record? a 16-lines Web server in Python
... and to be explored, in this same page:
> AsyncThreadedHTTPServer.py which makes it possible
> to use it without melting it with Apache.

There also are application servers, mostly Zope:
http://www.zope.com/
> Zope includes its own HTTP, FTP, WebDAV, and XML-RPC
> serving capabilities, but can also be used with the
> Apache or other web servers

It might be too big for what we need... The Plone portal is based on Zope.
See also: http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Zope/Intro/page1.html

Also, there is a XML toolkit for Python, a very active project (16
developers) called PyXML (version 0.8.2, beta):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyxml/

> The Python/XML distribution contains the basic tools
> required for processing XML data using the Python
> programming language, assembled into one easy-to-
>install package. The distribution includes parsers and
> standard interfaces such as SAX and DOM, along
> with various other useful modules.

This package currently contains, neatly packed (so it seems):