RE: [Freecats-Dev] Re: Freecats-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 11

From: Thierry Sourbier
Subject: RE: [Freecats-Dev] Re: Freecats-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 11
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:54:01 +0100

localizable = anything that can be changed when the document/software/etc. is
adapted for another country.

For example:
- A image in an HTML page can be appropriate for one country but not another.
- A font might be appropriate for a language but not another.
- Dialogs typically need resizing after translation, so dialog coordinates are
localizable.

You see how localization goes beyond translation... Why do we need to care?

Say that you translate an HTML page from English to Greek and then go through
the effort of updating all the links, image path and font information to make
it look perfect. The day before shipping your clients sends you an updated
English file with just some minor design change, you pass it through the TM and
you can recover all your translation but you've lost all the other changes :(.

I hope my comment are a bit more clear. My comment was originaly send in French
to Henri only.

T.