[Freecats-Dev] Re: Freecats-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 22

From: Dave Simons
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] Re: Freecats-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 22
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:51:57 +0100

Some thoughts:

  - If what we build is good enough, people will switch
  tools and come to us, especially if we are nice enough
  to provide 2-way migration tools.  So the fear of Trados
  and wordfast gaining too much momentum is illusory, not
  real.

The question is _who_ will switch tools and come to us? Maybe you're not familiar with how a lot of translation operations are sturctured these days. (Even if you are familiar, those who aren't might find this enlightening): First off, very many (most, I suspect) translators are freelance; that's how the trade works. When many agencies ask for a job done, they specify "Trados required." You don't have it, you don't get the job, simple as that. Agencies have two reasons for demanding Trados or TMs in general. First they want to keep vocabulary consistent, which is fine; but second, they don't want to pay translators the full rate for phrases that come up more than once, which for me is not that fine at all (though that doesn't concern the debate here). Here's the rub, although agencies that insist on the use of TMs are still in the minority, the number is growing quickly, and the ONLY TM I've ever seen specified is *Trados*, never Deja Vu, never Star Transit, never Transsuite, never SDLX (apart from SDL themselves), never Wordfast. So we can guess where all those who have't yet jumped on the bandwagon are going to jump. Thay have invested heavily in Trados (which in its corporate version is VERY expensive) and expect translators to make the same investment. You come along and say "sorry I prefer WordCake(tm)" or whatever, they say "Ok don't bother, we'll find someone else who does have Trados." Do you see the mindset? It's like telling a customer "no you can't have the translation in MS word format, I prefer Word Perfect." Any migration tools would have to make the shift completely invisible.

Therefore I humbly reject your dismissal of my Trados alert as illusory and suggest that the approach "if the tool is good enough people will come to us" amounts to rather naive optimism.

Dave