Re: [Freecats-Dev] Re: Interface/vote

From: David N. Welton
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Re: Interface/vote
Date: 19 Feb 2003 14:01:46 -0800

Charles Stewart <address@hidden> writes:

>   - I am more worried about lock-in, especially wrt. the Python
>   programming language.  It is an excellent tool for doing quick
>   hacks that need OO, but it behaves almost completely unlike any
>   other programming language in its semantics.

Python (or Tcl for that matter) is perfectly adequate for developing
large systems, and has a lot less lock-in than java in the sense that
the main implementation is open source (i.e., Sun doesn't have you by
the balls).  It also lowers the bar a lot for less experienced
programmers that might like to participate.

I personally view the "let's use java because everyone else is" as
barely adequate reasoning (FUD) for mediocre corporations, let alone
open source projects that are free to select something that really
works for them.

Don't have any time at all to follow this project, though, so with
that nice flame-out, I'm going to unsubscribe.  Henri, feel free to
contact me if you have any specific questions about my areas of
expertise.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton