Re: [Freecats-Dev] Cooperation with other project teams

From: Stanislav Visnovsky
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Cooperation with other project teams
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:40:19 +0200 (CEST)

> We would also be glad to receive feedback about KBabel's under the hood
> secrets, not to mention POEdit, which development team we did not contact -
> yet.

Aargh, that must be my fault. So better to write down at least some
KBabel details right away:

KBabel uses a plugin-based approach for handling matching. In fact, all
the logic is stored in a plugin and the API is roughly:
get exact translation, get translations according to the plugin settings
and get fuzzy translations. Each returned translation has an associated
score. The score is plugin dependent, but KBabel contains a library to
calculate score based on 3-grams (chunks for 3 characters).

Current plugins typically match according to these criteria:
- case sensitivity
- substring/superstring/prefix/suffix
- 3-gram matching

Also, the integrated TM supports "good keys". AFAIK it's used to speedup
the search. TM keeps a list of "good keys", texts which are similar to
the searched text, for example contains 50% of the queried text. This can
be computed quite fast and only on these texts the plugin uses the rest of
the matching.

Another "unimplemented" features was to allow replacement/missing of
particular number of words, so for example "Joe is here" would match "Mary
is here", but not "Mary is there".

That's basically it.

Stanislav