[Freecats-Dev] Re: Breton (Free CATS)

From: suzume
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] Re: Breton (Free CATS)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:20:48 +0900

Yeah, Japanese should be one of the first target languages, as it works so differently. Henry Dotterer (of Proz.com fame) has complained that most CAT tools suck royally with Japanese, and I know another active Japanese translator who's a technical type who'd surely be interested in picking holes in whatever we do (he's like that.) It'd be nice to be working in Asian languages right out of the gate, or at least be useful.

in fact, the focus _should_ be on languages that are difficult because it can only make things easier after... besides, japanese and chinese companies have a huge need for reliable cat products.

Si on me dit de quoi on a besoin pour indexer une langue je peux fournir de l'aide, j'ai un leger background en linguistique d'il y a 10+ ans mais qui peut servir (???)

That would be excellent. I'd say, once we start doing indexing, let's look at what would be necessary to make the same thing work in Japanese, and go from there. I'm only hoping you read English better than I write French.

it seems to me indexing in cjk languages is totally different from what it would be in alphabet languages, the reason being there is no clear separation between the words. if we start an indexing plan we may need to work separatly, one cjk group one alphabet/related group. i don't know if bidi languages (arabic, hebrew) are to be handled differently.

besides i don't remember having read your french :)

Et puis, pourquoi donc a-t-on basculé en cc hors liste ?

I was wondering that myself.

well, we're back now :)

jc helary