Re: [Freecats-Dev] Yves C. on the API

From: Yves Champollion
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Yves C. on the API
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:33:40 +0200

> From: "Henri Chorand" <address@hidden>

> I merely inserted a return code as return parameter in all functions
because
> I believe the client could handle the display of error messages based on
its
> own current interface language. For instance, error code "0003" would
> display as "Espace disque insuffisant" in French, "Disk full" in English,
> etc. Error string tables would be located on the clients, the user
choosing
> the languages he/she wishes to use at setup.

Well then, kudos :-)
I had not gathered that the project interface was supposed to be
multilingual. In this case, it's all fine.

> There is another aspect on which I would appreciate to know your thoughts
> more in detail: indexing rules.
>
> I still like my first idea, designing a set of rules that can suit one or
> more natural languages (e.g. whole words plus all substrings starting from
> the first character, with a minimum length of 3, for French and possibly
> other Latin languages). Of course, these will be refined.
>
> Anyway, you may have different ideas, and you may also want to share some
of
> your expertise about the implementation of (fast) indexes. Let us know if
> you think we are missing something.

> > Otherwise, not much to say. The enterprise is enormous. It's a
> > considerable effort!
>
> Yves, at first, one never knows for sure when you are joking.
>
> I seem to remember you told me that building a first (basic or even crude)
> version of the TM server was one man-month worth, but I'm afraid you must
> have used your own standards here ;-)

I believe I said TM engine (in my mind, it's not even the database proper,
which can be of any make, it's the part that's able to point to exact or
fuzzy matches in the Db). What will take time, however, is what is built
around it (administration of the database, rights, all the ancillary
functions you describe etc).

Cheers,
Yves