freecycle-users

Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [Freecycle-users] IPATCH_CONVERTER_FIND_PARENT (fr

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [Freecycle-users] IPATCH_CONVERTER_FIND_PARENT (freecycle-CVS-20060505)
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 14:03:44 +0200

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 08:42 +0200, Predrag Viceic wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> Sorry if you have misunderstood me. I'm really happy with the fast progress
> rate of swami-libinstpatch. Keep up the good work and add all the features
> you need!! I'll take the last (stable) release of libinstpatch (1.0.0pre1)
> and base Freecycle on it. My error was not specifiying which is the
> "official" release for linking Freecycle and swami. As soon I have found out
> that i'll change in the doc.
>
> Note for the Freecylce list. I will try to base Freecycle on the last
> released
> tar, and not (as sometimes) on the cvs.
>

> Cheers,
> Predrag

No I don't think I was misunderstanding you ;)  I have just realized
recently that it is a priority to get libInstPatch API to be stable and
your email reminded me of this.  There actually really isn't an official
release, the libinstpatch pre releases are really outdated and probably
should not be used either.

My current plan is to add some additional features which may make it
possible for you to write an exporter in a format independent fashion,
so that Freecycle could export to current and possibly future
libInstPatch supported formats as well (SF2, Gig and DLS currently)
using a single code base.  It would be up to the user to select the
output format.  I had a look at your existing SF2 exporter and I think
it may be easier for me to update it when the API is deemed stable
(hopefully very soon), rather than you having to try and keep up with a
possibly shifting API.

Is the basic idea behind the freecycle exporter that it should create
one instrument which contains a bunch of samples each on its own MIDI
note?  I have some ideas for making this rather easy and in theory,
format independent.  Cheers!

        Josh