RE: [FR-devel] After RubyConf...

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] After RubyConf...
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:36:46 -0800

Hal E. Fulton wrote:

> Hello, team...
>
> I'd like to congratulate all of you
> who have contributed to this project,
> principally Curt Hibbs, Rich Kilmer,
> and Nishio Mizuho.

Also, Laurent Julliard was carried the FreeRIDE "ball" all by himself for
many months of development.

> The new wiki looks great, by the way.

Thanks.

> I'd also like to encourage all of you
> to preserve your momentum. Let's not
> rest on our laurels once the RubyConf
> is over.

We're hoping that Rich's presentation at the conference will inspire more
developer's to begin active development of plugins for FreeRIDE.

> And I promise that I will move FR up
> on my to-do list. :)

Great!

> In connection with this, I have some
> questions:
>
> 1. Are we putting FR on hold until
> wxRuby is mature? If so, my comments
> above may not hold.

Absolutely not! Only internationalization is waiting on wxRuby.

> 2. What is the Next Big Thing in FreeRIDE?
> I know what I'd vote for -- pair programming
> support. That could help the project be more
> "self-bootstrapping." Imagine using FR 0.6
> to work on FR 0.7 -- and pairing with someone
> a thousand miles away. Ahhhh.... :)

Now that the basics are in place I think that each developer can work on the
areas that interest them most. Of course if someone doesn't have a pet
project in mind, I'm sure the rest of us can make suggestions on what we
think is most needed.

I'll bet that Rich's Jabber implementation could be leveraged for remote
pair programming.

> 3. What is *my* upcoming role in this?
> I can be looking at editor API issues or
> scripting project issues. (Will we still
> use Scintilla once we convert to wxRuby?)

We will always be using scintilla -- we're going to have to make a
wxScintilla to go along with wxRuby.

Curt