RE: [FR-devel] After RubyConf...

From: Rich Kilmer
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] After RubyConf...
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:51:58 -0500

Hey Hal (et al)

Yes...Laurent is a major contributor here :-)

> > The new wiki looks great, by the way.
>
> Thanks.

I absolutely agree!

> > I'd also like to encourage all of you
> > to preserve your momentum. Let's not
> > rest on our laurels once the RubyConf
> > is over.
>
> We're hoping that Rich's presentation at the conference will
> inspire more developer's to begin active development of
> plugins for FreeRIDE.
>
> > And I promise that I will move FR up
> > on my to-do list. :)
>
> Great!
>
> > In connection with this, I have some
> > questions:
> >
> > 1. Are we putting FR on hold until
> > wxRuby is mature? If so, my comments
> > above may not hold.
>
> Absolutely not! Only internationalization is waiting on wxRuby.

The goal is to have GUI-based plugins written in Fox, but they should be
pretty easy to port to Wx (depending on what they are doing).  Non-gui
plugins have no issue either way...so active development is encouraged!

> > 2. What is the Next Big Thing in FreeRIDE?
> > I know what I'd vote for -- pair programming
> > support. That could help the project be more "self-bootstrapping."
> > Imagine using FR 0.6 to work on FR 0.7 -- and pairing with someone
> > a thousand miles away. Ahhhh.... :)
>
> Now that the basics are in place I think that each developer
> can work on the areas that interest them most. Of course if
> someone doesn't have a pet project in mind, I'm sure the rest
> of us can make suggestions on what we think is most needed.
>
> I'll bet that Rich's Jabber implementation could be leveraged
> for remote pair programming.

I do believe we could do some cool stuff with Jabber.  We need to get
events working from the plugins (like the editor).

What I really want to get working is a generalized project manager
(mostly non-gui with a GUI "browser" and "continuous version control" on
the local machine.  Oh...and CVS integration.