Re: [FR-devel] RE: FreeRIDE Status

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] RE: FreeRIDE Status
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:13:53 -0500

Curt Hibbs wrote:
Mauricio Fernandez wrote:

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:40:01AM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:

Chris wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering what was the story with FreeRIDE?  About a

month ago there

was a lot of talk about it, but I haven't heard much since.  Is there
somewhere I can download it, or has it still not been released?
If not, is
there a timeframe for its (unofficial, of course :) release date?

Anxiously looking forward to it (and very much appreciatively),

Chris

Thanks for your interest (and your patience!). I'm going to

cross-post this

to the ruby ML to help keep everyone informed.

We haven't yet made an official release. We've been fixing a few
show-stopper problems, cleaning up the code, and writing

documentation. Work

and family always seem to take priority, as well, so it has been taking
longer that we wanted. Our updated release task list is at:

        http://www.rubyide.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Release_0.5.0_Tasks

Some time ago I tried to run FreeRIDE but, being on a Debian GNU/Linux
Sid box, I didn't have FXScintilla nor FXRuby installed.
I worked my way to make the pertinent packages, to avoid cluttering up my
/usr/local (yes, I do know stow :)

I've seen on the TODO list that you're planning to make Debian
packages, so this might interest you.

Right now I have the following working in my sid box (haven't tested it
thoroughly yet, but the packaging is quite simple indeed):
libfox-ruby
libfox-ruby1.7          (for the 1.7 branch, can coexist
with the latter)
libfxscintilla1
libfxscintilla1-dev     (headers and static lib)

Is this of any use for you?

Sure. I have alreayd generated RPM files (source and binary) for all of these and I welcome Debian packages. Visit http://www.rubyide.org/files/ to see how I have organized things so far. I can easily add an rpm/deb level on top of it.

It would be nice if you could keep these packages up to date in the future because I don't use Debian myself.

Thanks for your help.

Laurent