RE: [Devel] NT crash in psaux

From: Blinn, Eric W
Subject: RE: [Devel] NT crash in psaux
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:13:54 -0600

In a brief moment of brain fade Eric Blinn wrote:

> Here's my concern.  Doesn't replacing the REALLOC() with ALLOC() +
> MEM_Copy() leave us with a potential memory leak?  Who frees up the
> memory that table->block was pointing to before calling
> reallocate_t1_table()?

Whoops!  Okay, I took a closer look and I see where that memory
gets freed.  So memory does not get leaked.  However, I think
this still leaves the pointer object up in PS_Table_Add() dangling
if it was pointing at the same memory as table->block.  I think
you are right in that reallocate_t1_table() was buggy before and
you fixed it, but I don't think it fixes *my* bug.

Anyway, I've got a local fix that does fix *my* bug.  I think it
fulfills the intent of the code while protecting against a free
memory read from the dangling pointer.  However, I'm not so sure
that isn't just masking an underlying problem.  The bigger question
is why object and table->block are sometimes pointing at the same
block of memory and whether that is a valid state.

I'll still stand by the other buggy code I reported involving
the uninitialized error code.  :-)