[Devel] 8.16 and 16.16 [was: Problems with bbox code and cubic bezier cu

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: [Devel] 8.16 and 16.16 [was: Problems with bbox code and cubic bezier curves]
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:26:23 -0400 (EDT)

My worries lie elsewhere.  The code is actually shifting the whole 16.16 number
down by whatever amount is needed to get 8.16 numbers.  I cannot overlook the
fact we are using 16.16 numbers, because the FT_*Fix functions assume 16.16
input for some (but not all) of the arguments.

At least that is what I get out of the code.

Suppose we need to shift right by N bits to make each of a, b, and c have 24 bit
precision.  This means the crucial fractional part is losing N bits, and the
integer part has N bits stuffed into the fractional part.

For instance, if we need to shift right by 8 bits to make each of a, b, and c
fit into 24 bits of data, and a = FFFF8000 (-1.5), then a >> 8 is FFFF80.  But
since these are stuffed into signed integer variables and the sign bit is not
lost when bit shifting signed integers, this is really FFFFFF80 for 32 bit
integers, and FFFFFFFFFFFFFF80 for 64 bit integers.  As a 16.16 number, this
-0.0020 decimal.  This doesn't look right to me!

Unless I misunderstood the FT_*Fix functions.  I thought that FT_DivFix assumed
16.16 numbers, etc...

It wasn't precision I was worried about -- it was data "corruption" I was
worried
about.

What am I missing here?  The code works, as demonstrated by the profiling code
you submitted, so I must have a few misfiring synapses!

Tom