Re: [Devel] Problems with bbox code and cubic bezier curves

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: [Devel] Problems with bbox code and cubic bezier curves
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:50:40 +0200

Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

> It is not a restriction, it is a recommendation of the Type 1 specification.
> That is the problem:  the recommendations do not have to be followed. :(

I've been following this discussion with only half an ear, but I keep wondering:
why all the hassle? What's wrong with the bounding box of the control points?
With unrotated fonts conforming to the Adobe recommendations this is exact.
Since this is by far the most common case, I simply don't see the effort of
getting exact bbox calculation right as a worthwile investement... So what if
the bounding box is sometimes a couple of pixels too large?

Just