[Devel] Conflicting font PSNames

From: Mark Storer
Subject: [Devel] Conflicting font PSNames
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:07:15 -0800

I'm fusing an Acrobat-based project with FT (I needed glyph indexes).  I'm
on Win2k.

Acrobat has a method for enumerating all the fonts installed on a system.
Font names are always given as PostScript names in Acrobat.

So lets suppose I run across a font that lives in a TTC file.  I enumerate
the faces in that file, looking for a name matching the font I'm looking
for.  Seems reasonable, right?

Until I ran across MSGOTHIC.TTC.  It contains 3 fonts, but my example only
involves the first (but they all share the same problem).  According to
Acrobat, there's a font on my system called "MSGothic".  According to FT,
there is no such font... but there is a font called "MS-Gothic".  That dash
is killin' me.

So which is 'right'?  They can't both be right (can they?!).

Just to throw a wrench into the works, I recently uninstalled MSGOTHIC.TTF,
which only contained the one font... but IT returned a BLANK ps name. I've
since rebooted my system (just in case).

I suppose I could come up with a name comparison function that skipped over
dashes as needed, but that seems 'hackish'.  I'll save it as a last resort,
but I'm hoping someone else has had a similar experience and can offer some
advice.

Any takers?

--Mark Storer
  Software Engineer
  Cardiff Software

#include <disclaimer>
typedef std::disclaimer<Cardiff> Discard;