Re: [Devel] Conflicting font PSNames

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Conflicting font PSNames
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:52:31 +0100 (CET)

> I'm fusing an Acrobat-based project with FT (I needed glyph
> indexes).  I'm on Win2k.
>
> Acrobat has a method for enumerating all the fonts installed on a
> system.  Font names are always given as PostScript names in Acrobat.
>
> So lets suppose I run across a font that lives in a TTC file.  I
> enumerate the faces in that file, looking for a name matching the
> font I'm looking for.  Seems reasonable, right?
>
> Until I ran across MSGOTHIC.TTC.  It contains 3 fonts, but my
> example only involves the first (but they all share the same
> problem).  According to Acrobat, there's a font on my system called
> "MSGothic".  According to FT, there is no such font... but there is
> a font called "MS-Gothic".  That dash is killin' me.
>
> So which is 'right'?  They can't both be right (can they?!).

Hmm, adding MSGOTHIC.TTC to the fonts scanned by my Acrobat Reader 4.0
(version x86 linux stdout0124 Jan 24 2000 15:00:03), I get the
following entries in AdobeFnt.lst (the Japanese names are in SJIS
encoding originally):

%BeginFont
Handler:DirectoryHandler
FontType:TrueType
FontName:MS-Gothic
FamilyName:MS Gothic
StyleName:Regular
FullName:MS Gothic
FamilyNameNative:MS ゴシック
StyleNameNative:標準
FullNameNative:MS ゴシック
WritingScript:Japanese
OutlineFileName:/usr/X11R6/lib/Acrobat4/Resource/./Font/MSGOTHIC.TTC
TTCOffset:24
DataFormat:sfntData
%EndFont

%BeginFont
Handler:DirectoryHandler
FontType:TrueType
FontName:MS-PGothic
FamilyName:MS PGothic
StyleName:Regular
FullName:MS PGothic
FamilyNameNative:MS Pゴシック
StyleNameNative:標準
FullNameNative:MS Pゴシック
WritingScript:Japanese
OutlineFileName:/usr/X11R6/lib/Acrobat4/Resource/./Font/MSGOTHIC.TTC
TTCOffset:372
DataFormat:sfntData
%EndFont

%BeginFont
Handler:DirectoryHandler
FontType:TrueType
FontName:MS-UIGothic
FamilyName:MS UI Gothic
StyleName:Regular
FullName:MS UI Gothic
FamilyNameNative:MS UI Gothic
StyleNameNative:標準
FullNameNative:MS UI Gothic
WritingScript:Japanese
OutlineFileName:/usr/X11R6/lib/Acrobat4/Resource/./Font/MSGOTHIC.TTC
TTCOffset:736
DataFormat:sfntData
%EndFont

This looks OK to me -- and there *is* a dash in the FontName!