Re: [Devel] Compressed PCF fonts

From: Francesco Zappa Nardelli
Subject: Re: [Devel] Compressed PCF fonts
Date: 04 Feb 2002 18:46:27 +0100

KP> should FreeType have the ability to load these fonts directly?

Hum... FreeType must keep the whole decompressed font file into the
memory, because the PCF driver gets at random positions into the font
file (and decompressing the font to a temporary file is not an
option).  This will lead to a bigger memory footprint, even if it
saves space on disk.

Moreover, if we work with compressed (PCF and BDF) fonts, I do not
think that improving the BDF driver is an useful thing.

Any comment?

Implementing compressed streams in FreeType should be quite easy using
zlib (once somebody figures out how things work).

-francesco