Re: [Devel] Compressed PCF fonts

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Compressed PCF fonts
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 20:06:43 +0100

Keith Packard a écrit :

> > I don't really see any benefit in parsing BDF font files in real-time,
> > even less in decompressing and parsing them in real time.. While
> > we're at it, why not use XML-based font formats :o)
>
> We do need a format that can cover Unicode outside of BMP -- PCF is
> limited to 16-bit encodings.  If SFNT can handle this, then we're all set.

The SFNT charmap format 8, 10 and 12 can be used for 32-bit character
codes and are already supported by FreeType, so it seems that SFNT could
be a good idea..

I'm not too familiar with the definition and uses of "PCF properties".
It's be interesting to know wether the information contained there is
already provided in SFNT tables or not..

Could anyone comment on important PCF properties here ??

Regards,

- David