[Devel] PCF bitmap height again (was: PCF bitmap width fix)

From: Detlef Würkner
Subject: [Devel] PCF bitmap height again (was: PCF bitmap width fix)
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:40:15 +0100

Hello!

I wrote:

> Thanks for the information! Now I could create a patch for the PCF driver
> that sets the correct width of the font if available, instead of always
> using the same value for width and height. This is useful especially for
> calculating the pixel width of monospaced fonts.
[patch]
> BTW, http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/binaries/Common/Xfnts.tgz

When converting these PCF fonts to Amiga bitmap fonts, the next problem
shows up: The face->available_sizes[0].heigth value ("height :: The
character height in pixels.") is often too small, latin capital letters
with accents above dont fit without shifting the baseline.
For example ncenR24-ISO8859-1.pcf (NewCenturyShoolBook/24) needs 28
pixels in height, not 24.

IMHO the height value returned by the winfnt driver is the height of the
bounding box? And that returned for embedded bitmaps in sfnt fonts too?

Unfortunately the height returned by the pcf driver is based on either
PIXEL_SIZE or POINT_SIZE and RESOLUTION_Y, but the XLFD docs say that
neither PIXEL_SIZE nor POINT_SIZE is identical to the bounding box. To get
the bounding box, STRIKEOUT_ASCENT + STRIKEOUT_DESCENT + 1 (height of
baseline) would IMHO be better, but these properties seem to be not
present in the XFree86 pcf fonts...

Any suggestions how to avoid the calculation of the global bounding box
of PCF fonts by rendering all available glyphs to get maxAscender and
maxDescender values?

Ciao, Detlef
--
_ // address@hidden