Re: [Devel] Re: Linux Console in UTF-8 - current state

From: David Starner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: Linux Console in UTF-8 - current state
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 00:18:03 -0500

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 07:35:53PM +0400, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> So I think that "scientific publisher" doesn's tell the truth to you/to the
> list.
> Let's also clarify a few things here.
> Do you speak about CJK fonts, or about Latin+Greek+Cyrillic fonts, right?

"The scientific publisher" speaks about mathematical fonts.

> There are some rather good fonts available *for free* for Latin+Greek+Cyrillic
> alphabet.

Which is but a small subset of Unicode. That doesn't cover the 1200+
mathematical characters (which keeps growing), the 1000+ technical
characters, or the many other scripts in Unicode.

> |  > > And presumably FreeType2 will have, or acquire, the smarts for
> |  > > rendering the Arabic and Indic scripts properly.
>
> I am wondering *how important* those Arabic and Indic scripts?
> While there is a certan number of people living in those countries, I doubt
> that they have a lot of computers, and nuymbe rof *Linux* users from that
> number is quaestionable, too.
> And when those things happen to change - we will see some people willing to
> contribute to free fonts for those languages. But this won't happen
> tomorrow...

They have free fonts; they have translators. The main missing component
is support for the scripts.

--
David Starner - address@hidden
Falshe fridn iz beser vi a rikhtige krig. /