Re: [Devel] Problem with compilation on MinGW

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Problem with compilation on MinGW
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:40:05 +0100

Brian Warner wrote:
Hi,

I've got a problem when I want to execute the make for mingw.
I've made just as it is written in the INSTALL file. I made the ./configure, I removed the config.mk file, and then I tried the 'make setup' command.
But there, Mingw says me :
make: ver: Command not found
make: type: Command not found
make: *** [dos_setup] Error 127

Are ver and type commands for MinGW ? and if yes, where can I find them, I searched but I got no result.

these are commands recognized by the Windows command line shells
(i.e. "cmd.exe" on Windows NT/2000/XP, and "command.com" on 9x)

on Windows, "make setup" will only work when running this command
from one of these shells. I suspect that you're using bash (e.g.
if you're running Cygwin or MSys). In this case, you should instead
follow the Unix instructions, i.e.:

  ./configure
  make
  make install

By the way, I have seriously reworked the documentation available
in "docs". The new text mentions that Cygwin and MSys users should
use the Unix instructions. Please have a look at it for more
details.

> P.S. When I compile, I just have a .a lib file, and I would need a .dll
> file, what have I to do to have it ?

We do not support the compilation of DLL files in the GNU-Make based build
system on the Windows command-line shell, mainly because the actions to
perform are so different based on the compiler being used, and this would
be extremely difficult to support.

on Unix systems, the "configure" will create a libtool script that will
be used to compile both static and dynamic libraries (shared objects).

I have no idea of what the Cygwin/MSys version of libtool does however.

see docs/INSTALL.ANY to see how to compile FreeType 2 with your own
project files or Makefiles. Compiling a DLL with your favorite compiler
shouldn't be very difficult.

Hope this help.

- David Turner

Did I miss something ?
When I just execute 'make', there is no problem.

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Fabrice Louis.