Re: [Devel] new fixes

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] new fixes
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:00:32 +0100

Hello David,

David Chester wrote:
Hello.

Would the following be possible for 2.1.4? Without this patch, the bluescale code isn't really doing very much. I've sent a message about this problem before, so please excuse me if you are already aware, and waiting for 2.1.5; however, if it is perhaps an oversight, it would be nice if these changes could make it in for 2.1.4. The difference between the rendering with and without this patch can be seen especially with ftview and Times New Roman sizes 14 and 20.

I believe that changing the root FT_Size metrics when the auto-hinter is called
is not a viable option, since the same object could be re-used later for
native hinting (TrueType or Postscript), this runs the risk of altering the
results in random ways in various rare circumstances.

(that's why the recent changes to the native TrueType driver do not store
 the re-computed metrics in the root metrics anymore but in a private
 area)

I thus can't accept your patch directly. I thought that the changes I'd made
to the auto-hinter did indeed work. I'll try to check if this is really
true, and how to fix it cleanly.

Thanks,

- David Turner