[Devel] freetype-config --version

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: [Devel] freetype-config --version
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:50:43 +0200

Hello,

Quoting doc/VERSION.DLL : "the libtool (and Unix) specific version number, like "9.2.3". This is what "freetype-config --version" will return".

I have some remarks on this :

* The --version option of *-config scripts and the emerging pkg-config unfication always show their release version, not their libtool version.

* Autoconf macros must do nasty tricks to fetch the release version from the headers, there is a solution in VERSION.DLL, I posted another one here :

* Autoconf users always get confused regarding version checking, they always mean to check a minimal release version, even if the ABI-tied libtool version should make more sense to them.

I don't know if the issue was already raised, but I would suggest to change the 'freetype-config --version' output to be the release version. We could easily catch 'legacy use' in autoconf macros, when a major>=8 is requested. Besides breaking all freetype-based builds around the world, does it look like a sensible idea ? :)