Re: [Devel] Experimental grayscale native TrueType hinting support

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Experimental grayscale native TrueType hinting support
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 21:15:19 +0400

On Thursday 10 April 2003 17:29, David Turner wrote:
|  Hello,
|
|     Here's a small patch against the current FreeType 2 sources that
| "activates" gray-scale specific hinting within the TrueType bytecode
| interpreter. The changes can be summarized as:

[...]

David,

Does this mean that you gave up on PS Hinter and Autohinter?

|     I've been using it with the fonts that come with my Windows 2000 setup
| and some fonts seem to change (e.g. Andale Mono), while others do not
| (Times New Roman Italic, still exhibiting the disappearing diagonal in "z"
| in AA mode). It seems that some fonts become slightly distorted, even in
| Monochrome mode (like Tahoma Bold or Trebuchet) with this patch, I suspect
| it has something to do with the scaler value begin changed.
|
|     Note that it seems, but it's very subjective because I didn't really
|     compare it thoroughly, to improve the LCD-optimized rendering in ftview
|     or certain fonts.
|
|     I'm submitting this patch so that you can experiment with it as well as
|     test it with the Windows XP version of these fonts..
|
|     It is *not* commited in the official FT2 tree, and you cannot toggle
| the feature at runtime or even compile time for now, though we'll probably
| try to add an option to do just that..
|
|     I'm waiting for your opinions :-)

My opinion that we need to get PS Hinter working.
I can tell you that I frecently got laptop with Windows XP pro, with ClearType
enabled.
And many fonts which are terrible in Windows 2000/98, look like very nice in
WinXP.
Including some PS/OpenType fonts.
Screenshots are available upon request ;-)

This means:  we can get good results with PS Hinter.
I don't think that we should give up on OpenType-AdobeCFF (Type2) and PS Type1
fonts.

--

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net