Re: [Devel] Getting accurate advances

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Getting accurate advances
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:58:10 +0100 (CET)

> Changing the way x_scale is computed is interesting, but I believe
> that I already tried this, and found that it did distort native
> TrueType hinting in certain cases.

Theoretically it shouldn't, since the TrueType driver maintains two
sets of metrics for unhinted and hinted glyphs.

> However, many things have changed in the engine since.  It may be
> possible that things are slightly different now.  Could someone test
> this and perform some important tests with the TrueType bytecode
> interpreter?

What are `important tests'?  Since I don't use Windows I can't
directly compare the results.  What I would like to have is a series
of images showing all glyphs for a given font size size of the
standard fonts used on Windows, without anti-aliasing.  Example: arial
at 5pt, 6pt, ... for 72dpi, for 96dpi, etc.  Which sizes are essential
to test?  Which fonts are essential?  Is there a volunteer who could
provide such images, or even better, who could write a small program
(using the standard Windows font functions) to automatically generate
such images?

I would really like to fix the embarassing bug which prevents proper
hinting of some glyphs in the Legendum font.