[Devel] Project steering

From: Mihai Barbos
Subject: [Devel] Project steering
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:22:39 +0100

You change the API (the header files) on a revision number change ?!? Who taught you that ?

Let me put it this way: IMHO freetype is a project that is necessary and important for the OpenSource community. Maintaining and steering it in the wrong way is not a good thing for the community. Also changing versions and releasing packages based on the "it's my birthday, I'll release it" policy is a bad idea. Already a huge part of the OpenSource projects are incompatible with themselves or reinventing the wheel (usually achieving a square wheel). Please do not put any effort in the way of making linux (and others) "the most incompatible OS with itself" (I don't remember who said that, but unfortunately he seems to be right). So, please, if you really insist to break compatibility, change, at least, the minor version. Or make the old inclusion schema still valid and generate just a warning, not an error when old include sequence is used.

Best regards and thanks for a really nice piece of software
Mihai