[Devel] PDF Font embedding

From: Salman Khilji
Subject: [Devel] PDF Font embedding
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:58:41 -0800

While searching thru the archives, I came across a reply to a thread by
Vadim Plessky <address@hidden> in which he said:

"I wrote for my former employer the code for using FreeType to get the
information necessary to embed fonts in PDF files.  I've been meaning to
rewrite it and add it to the FreeType distro"

I was wondering if this work is available as this is precisely what I would
like to do.

I am working on an open source C++ based PDF library (similar to iText Java
PDF library).  I am thinking about using freetype to perform font metrics
computation, font rendering, and possibly font embedding.

While I thought about "stealing" the font parsing,/subsetting code from iText
and simply porting it to C++, I think using FreeType may be better.  Has
anyone else done work in this line?  Can someone enlighten me as to what is
involved?  I am reading the PDF spec and it seems to be pretty involved.

I would like to include support for Font subsetting and Unicode support for
both Type 1 and TrueType fonts.

Salman