Re: [Devel] PDF Font embedding

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: Re: [Devel] PDF Font embedding
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:26:10 -0500

At 11:18 AM 3/21/2004, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Also, dvipdfmx is very TrueType/OpenType centric, and so I would
> look elsewhere for Type1 subsetting.  For example, pdfTeX has some
> nice T1 subsetting (though less than steller TTF/OTF support).

AFAIK, the current development version of dvipdfmx if *far* superior
to pdfTeX w.r.t. font embedding.

        TTF/OTF - no question!

        However, for Type 1, the pdfTeX subsetter produces smaller output...

It can handle subsetting of both
Type 1, CFF, and CID-keyed fonts; everything is converted to CFF.

Oh really? I hadn't see that in the last set of sources I reviewed (couldn't find any actual change notes)...Thanks.

For documents with CJK fonts, dvipdfmx usually creates files which are up
to *ten* times smaller compared to pdfTeX!

        Yes, no question!!

Leonard

Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:address@hidden>
Chief Technical Officer                      <http://www.pdfsages.com>
PDF Sages, Inc.                              215-629-3700 (voice)
                                             215-629-0789 (fax)