Re: [Devel] Philosophical question

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [Devel] Philosophical question
Date: 04 May 2004 10:53:43 -0700

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 04:38, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I think that MM features should only be activated explicitly.
Okie dokie.

> What is
> the behaviour of other programs which can handle GX and MM features?
The only program I can think of that supports GX var is the Apple
Rasterizer. I haven't seen any documentation on this issue.

As far as I can tell Apple's Rasterizer does not use GX var stuff
automatically.

If I ask AppleWorks to give me a bold variant of Skia (Skia explicitly
defines the blend coordinates of "Bold"), the resultant glyphs are much
less bold than they should be. Asking for "Condense" or "Extend" does
absolutely nothing (these are also defined explicitly).

If I do the same thing in WorldText I get somewhat different results,
but results which still do not match those specified by the '*var'
tables.

So I conclude that Apple does not do these things unless explicitly
asked.