Re: [ft-devel] address@hidden

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] address@hidden
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 05:42:38 +0100 (CET)

> - generally more easily searchable than a mailing list archive,
>   which also contain topics that are not related to bugs and
>   enhancements, or even a commitlog (fugly file !!)

We have the freetype-cvs list...  Note that it isn't working
currently, but I have already asked the savannah maintainers to fix
it.

> In practice, these benefits can only be reaped when you properly
> maintain the CVS and Bug databases in sync, which generally means
> having some sort of wrappers around CVS, or use some special tagging
> in your commit messages so that post-commit scripts can do their
> magic with them.

This is overkill IMHO.  The standard way in GNU projects is to have
ChangeLog entries like this:

  * foo/bar.c: Correct typo.  This fixes FreeType bug #12345.

What you suggest is important for projects which don't use a ChangeLog
file (or only have sloppy entries in them).  I invest a great deal of
time to fix and improve the ChangeLog entries (even yours :-).

> - only core developers should be allowed to enter issues in the
>   database (otherwise, some "candide" users are going to incorrectly
>   populate it for us, more quickly than you can imagine)

I would extend that to cover `trustworthy' testers -- these are people
who can write good bug reports, as described in the article you've
pointed to.

> - I don't want a ton of stupid fields to create a single issue. Last
>   time I checked bugzilla, it was the mother of all stupid fields !!
>   hughhh....

IIRC, savannah's bugzilla is highly configurable; hopefully you can
switch off everything you don't need.