Re: [ft-devel] issue with ArialMT in 2.1.9

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] issue with ArialMT in 2.1.9
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:40:14 +0100

Hello Ian & all,

I've created bug #11856 on the Savannah server for this issue.
You can see it at:

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=11856

I don't know if we'll have the time to correct the bug right now,
there are a few things regarding the server that we'd like to
complete before that.

Bonus points to you if you can write a tiny regression test
for this issue, we'll try to include it in the CVS :o)

Regards,

- David Turner

Ian Brown a écrit :
In the latest release of our software, we have updated from ft 2.1.5 to
ft 2.1.9 (with the truetype hinting patch applied).
This is causing us problems with an Arial MT font (_A______.PFB) which
is apparently shipped with Acrobat reader 4 / 5. Apparently, many of our
customers are using that font :-(

The problem is that when freetype tries to render the space character,
it finds only one instruction which is 'closepath' and generates a
syntax error saying that there is no current path. Now, I can see that
it is doing the right thing - but the upshot of it is that I cannot get
the width of the space character and so our software breaks with this
font. Freetype versions prior to 2.1.9 (well, at least 2.1.5) ignored
this error - and so all our customers see is that the new version of our
software breaks on fonts that the old version could handle.

Is it possible for freetype to ignore this syntax error (i.e. no current
path) in the special case where closepath is the only instruction for a
glyph? Either that, or is there a way I can tell freetype to ignore
syntax errors like this when processing the font?

Ian

Ps: now that you have moved to savannah, will it be possible to make bug
reports in the tracker there? It would seem like a better place to
report such things than here.