RE: [ft-devel] otv in Jamfile

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] otv in Jamfile
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:44:01 +0200

Hello,

> Could you tell me the intent of this change?
>
>     2005-05-01  David Turner  <address@hidden>
>
>           * Jamfile: Remove `otvalid' from the list of
> compiled modules.
>
> Will otvalid drop from the next release?
> (We, gxvalid developers, are discouraged at this log entry.)

I removed it when I was testing the compilation of the library
in order to remove compiler warnings.

The otvalid module doesn't compile at all with Visual C++,
due to its liberal use of subtle but legal preprocessor tricks
(blame it on VC++, not FreeType).

I just forgot to reset it.

However, I believe it's not a good idea to put such a module
within the font library. As Owen Taylor pointed it out, that's
because if you implement a library to process the OpenType
tables, and if some of these are updated or added by the
specification, you don't want _your_ code to depend on an
updated version of the FreeType validator to work correctly.

I'll let Werner be the final judge on this however. I have
too few time to be very involved in the project currently
and someone must steer it.

By the way, could we just stop adding new features. We're
supposed to be in the freezing stage, and I doubt that the
new emboldening code is bug free at the moment. Can't it
be held back for a bit later ?

Regards,

- David Turner