RE: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?

From: like2wise
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:30:33 +0100

Hello David,

> > what exactly
> > is the API change, and since when?
> >
> > FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT and FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT did nothing for
> > in 2.1.10.
> >

> There is no API change, it's simply the algorithm used to implement
> the LIGHT hinting mode that has been modified.
>
> Moreover, in 2.1.10, this mode did actually perform something.

>From the API docs I read this:

FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT:
Use hinting for FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT.

FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT:
This is similar to FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL -- you have to use
FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT in calls to FT_Load_Glyph to get any effect since
the rendering process no longer influences the positioning of glyph
outlines. The resulting glyph shapes are more similar to the original,
while being a bit more fuzzy (`better shapes' instead of `better
contrast', so to say.

---

What I make up of this: FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT has become deprecated, and
specifying it is exactly the same as specifying FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL.

I should only use FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT in FT_Load_Glyph().

So:

error = FT_Load_Char( face, text[n], FT_LOAD_DEFAULT |
FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT)
error = FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap( &glyph, FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL, 0, 1 );

---

If my assumption is correct, I would suggest moving the explanation to
the FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT flag docs, and have FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT refer
to FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT.

Furthermore, on the web API docs, I noticed FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT is not
in the FT_LOAD_XXX list that sits before their descriptions.

Thanks, best regards,

Leon.