Re: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:01:58 +0100

Hi,

Le samedi 24 décembre 2005 à 12:35 -0400, bulia byak a écrit :
> On 12/20/05, Ismail Donmez <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Well you will need unreleased Qt,fontconfig etc else you won't be able to
> > compile anything that links to freetype.
>
> Unfortunately this is a bit more than I can afford at the moment... so
> I guess I'll have to wait. Meanwhile I wondered if I can ask the
> developers a few questions:
>
> - When the new version is out, do I get it right that this new mode
> will not be the default?

The new version is more or less ready. We're now trying to provide
as many patches to rogue client libraries and programs. See:

http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/freetype-2.2.0-safe-install.html
http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/rogue-patches.html

until this list of patches is sufficiently complete, there will be no
2.2
release to prevent creating too much problems for unsuspecting users.

my biggest gripe at the moment is XFree86 :-)

> - What will be reqiuired to enable it in the new version - a
> recompile, or something less drastic would suffice?

if you're calling the font engine directly, use the FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT
value to suggest the "light" hinting mode. You won't need to recompile
your
code if you already do, since we only changed some internal parts of the
algorithm.

for Gnome users, launch the font properties dialog (a.k.a.
gnome-font-properties)
and select the "better shapes" option in the first page. Or, in the
advanced page,
select "light hinting".

by the way, there is no difference between "light" and "medium" hinting
in this
panel. These two options are there for historical reasons and should be
merged
into a single one.

I don't know about KDE, since I don't use it, but I suspect something
similar.

notice that for this to work properly, you'll also need a recent version
of libXft
installed on your system (some older versions didn't select the FreeType
hinting
algorithm correctly)

> - Will some kind soul please share a screenshot showing this rendering
> mode with CVS freetype?

Sure ;-)

http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/screenshots/evolution-default.png
http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/screenshots/evolution-light.png