Re: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?

From: bulia byak
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:30:35 -0400

On 1/2/06, David Turner <address@hidden> wrote:
> > - When the new version is out, do I get it right that this new mode
> > will not be the default?
> >
> The new version is more or less ready.

Thanks! This is great news. For me at least, this is a very important
improvement.

> > - What will be reqiuired to enable it in the new version - a
> > recompile, or something less drastic would suffice?
> for Gnome users, launch the font properties dialog (a.k.a.
> gnome-font-properties)
> and select the "better shapes" option in the first page. Or, in the
> advanced page,
> select "light hinting".

Excellent! Will this affect all GTK programs or only Gnome programs?

What about Firefox - will it also need a patch to enable this in the renderer?

> > - Will some kind soul please share a screenshot showing this rendering
> > mode with CVS freetype?
> >
> Sure ;-)
>
> http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/screenshots/evolution-default.png
> http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/screenshots/evolution-light.png
> http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/screenshots/anjuta-default.png
> http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/screenshots/anjuta-light.png

Perfect. Exactly what I wanted. Thanks again. I've been waiting for
this for years :)

Just out of curiosity, do you know why in the evolution screenshots,
the changes are everywhere except the message pane? What's special
about it?

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.