Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release

From: Ilya Konstantinov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:40:53 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

[discussion continued on freetype-devel only]
Sorry for that. I was to quick to press Send.
A new version which makes such a radical change should bump up the shared object version (.so.N).

Where's the `radical change'?
Symbols which were previously exported are no longer exported. This is exactly the kind of compatibility changes .so version numbers are intended for. It's just like when you change a COM interface, no matter if the function you've changed was marked INTERNAL in screaming caps, you'd still change the interface UUID.
That way we'll allow a transition period for applications to update.

This has been discussed recently on the FreeType list, and the
consensus seems to be that it is better to fix the applications than
to increase the DLL version to avoid even more problems.
Sorry, I didn't notice this discussion :/ Although I'm not a FreeType developer, I'd express my opinion on this since I feel strongly about having the best level of binary compatibility on the free desktop and to avoid the problems described in the famous Linux Problems document[1].

What kind of problems would the version bump cause?
Are we not bumping versions simply to force all applications to fix their code rather than sticking to their old-and-working FreeType version?

[1] http://plan99.net/autopackage/Linux_Problems