Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release

From: david turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:58:26 +0100

Another option is to have ./configure refuse to install freetype
2.2.0 if a previous release of the library is detected on the
system; that is, unless you use a super-duper parameter like
--please-destroy-my-desktop that only the cautious will care to use.

I second this.  A big warning should be emitted if an older FreeType
DLL and/or header files are found.  How to do this sensibly is beyond
my knowledge.

we don't need to cover all cases, I think the following should be enough:

- check that a freetype-config script is available from current PATH
- check also the availabilty through pkg-config as well
- check that the prefix is set to /usr or /usr/local (maybe /usr/X11/lib as well)

Any takers ?

- David

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original message.