Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:14:39 +0100 (CET)

> > Indirect dependencies.
> >
> That's exactly what's described in this section:
>
> http://plan99.net/autopackage/Linux_Problems#elf

Yes.  Note that the world is still spinning inspite of the horror
scenario painted there :-)

> I can't think of many programs which actively use FreeType functions
> on their own.

Any program which needs more info than delivered by FontConfig needs
it, especially applications which create PS or PDF output by itself.
Examples are xpdf or lilypond (a music typesetter).

> > Perhaps we shall *rename* the library to, say, `libft2', instead
> > of `libfreetype', together with a new API prefix `FT2_' instead of
> > `FT_'.  This would avoid the whole mess.
>
> Renaming the library is not required, as the version prefix makes
> the name different enough.

Mhmm, let's see what David says.