Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts

From: Donn
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:35:10 +0200

> No, the relationship is independent.
> If you scan Bitstream's PS Type1 font provided for X11,
> you can find the pair of PFB and AFM. Most PS font package
> provides PS font and AFM but often lacks PFM.

I gather that there must be some file somewhere that is describing the
relationships between the various actual font files that apps will use. So,
it seems that by taking a single font file (or a pair) out of context (by
linking them to ~/.fonts) that I would be breaking the link between the app,
those two font files and the mysterious file that describes what's going on.

I was really working on the 'wild stab in the dark' assumption that if
FunkyChicken.pfb AND FunkyChicken.[afm][pfm] were both found in ~/.fonts,
then apps like Inkscape and Gimp would know what to do.

Perhaps, because I am using soft links, just linking to the glyph file (pfa,
pfb) the apps would have to follow the link backwards to find the actual file
anyway, and that would put them into the directory where all the
other "stuff" is that makes sense within the context of that font.

\d