Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts

From: Donn
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:12:51 +0200

On Wednesday, 09 January 2008 12:47:00 address@hidden wrote:
> One of the decision we have to consider for first is:
> "~/.fonts" should include the files missing outline data?
Yeah, that's the thing, although I am fuzzy on the meaning of 'outline' here.

> At present, fontconfig
> does not search AFM nor PFM, and its database does not
> provide informations about the exists of AFM and PFM.
Okay, so that's a vote against bothering with them at all.

> As a result, the application have to search AFM (or PFM
> for fallback?). I'm not sure if application designer is
> so ambitious to implement such by themselves.
Hmmm. That makes it tough to decide then. It could be that Inkscape or Gimp
(or OOO, or, or , or ...) all do things slightly differently - some may be
fetching the metric files, some not. What a mess.

I think for overall correctness, that I will follow something like your
advice:
> Umm, Werner may recommend you to use PFM fallback - if AFM
> is found, use it, if AFM is not found but PFM is found, use it.
> So 2 & 4 are OK, but 1/3/5 would be slightly different.
That, at least, is complete.

Thanks,
\d

--