[ft-devel] FreeType 2.3.5 - incorrect bitmap_left / horiBearingX values

From: Bevan, David
Subject: [ft-devel] FreeType 2.3.5 - incorrect bitmap_left / horiBearingX values with Symbol TT font
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:06:46 -0000

Hi!

We’ve just upgraded from FreeType 2.1.9 to 2.3.5 and encountered a regression issue.

With the attached Symbol TT font, the “left side-bearing“ values are incorrect for some of the characters.

For many characters, both the bitmap_left and horiBearingX values are now zero. Some others are incorrectly too large.

The first character to show the problem is glyph 3, the ‘!’ character.

For this character (16pt at 300dpi), with 2.1.9, horiBearingX was 448. With 2.3.5 it is now incorrectly zero. Similarly, bitmap_left was 7 and is now also zero.

The two attached PDF files show the difference clearly.

I was hoping to be able to track down the source of the problem, but after running both versions in parallel under a debugger for several hours I’m none the wiser. There are too many changes for me to work out where the error is without understanding the code in much greater detail.

I hope that’s enough info for someone who understands the code to track down the issue.

Thanks.

David %^>

David Bevan

Senior Software Engineer