Re: [ft-devel] Force PMingLiU like font do HINTING

From: JustFillBug
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Force PMingLiU like font do HINTING
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:12:30 +0000 (UTC)

On 2008-12-04, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> So anyone who use freetype or libraries that use freetype (like
>> cairo) will have to be make awared of this problem. I'm not sure how
>> practical this will be.
>
> Graham's suggestion of introducing a flag in FT_Face sounds good.

If I understand his sugguestion correctly, the user always has to check
the FT_FACE flag for the tricky fonts when he turns on NO_HINTING.
Therefore, the user has to know that there are some Chinese fonts which
are tricky with hinting.

In practics, most of the time, when a user turns on NO_HINTING, he's not
intend to make the tricky fonts illegible.

Therefore in most situation, the user expectation are broken because
they don't expect that there exist such kind of fonts.

No hinting on tricky fonts only serve a specific purpose: shows that the
fonts are broken without hinting.  Only program like ftview need to
force real no hinting to display raw rendering result of the fonts.

This is why I suggest default to force HINTING on tricky fonts but allow
expert users to get complete NO_HINTING.