Re: [ft-devel] Position Independent Port of FreeType2

From: Mickey Gabel
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Position Independent Port of FreeType2
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:59:32 +0200

I'd suggest to get a compiler that is able to generate the PIC code without
requiring to add ugly code modifications you are proposing. For instance
gcc for a linux platform does generate PIC code just fine.

Unfortunately that is not an option. While RVCT in recent version is able to generate and use a global offset table, it is not clear that this is compatible with BREW. In any case, many people who work with BREW still work with ADS1.2 (a circa 2000 compiler IIRC) and we need to be able to support them too. Also, there are other embedded systems with the same constraint, that also use proprietary compilers or demand special compiler flags. I imagine FT2 cannot be used on such systems either, which is a shame.

Regarding the changes to FT2, from my experiments they are not very ugly, and would only be compiled when FT_CONFIG_OPTION_PIC is defined. I want to work with FT2 writers exactly because I want to get a well designed solution with minimal "ugliness".

Mickey