Re: [ft-devel] [Patch] CJK autofit/autohint blue zones

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Patch] CJK autofit/autohint blue zones
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:43:49 +0900

JustFillBug <address@hidden> writes:
>   At 11pt, the bottom of the last few chars will clearly show the
>   effect. I attached an pic with anti-alias off. anti-aliased version
>   also shows the effect.

The "with blue" and "no blue" renderings are surely different, in terms
of vertical alignment at the bottom, but it's not clear to me which is
actually _best_... the "no blue" rendering looks more even though.

What are the rules about vertical alignment with CJK fonts?  [Especially
at low resolutions, where many characters end up having wide flat
bottoms even if they're not flat at high resolutions.]

In particular, these two characters: "置者" look a bit unbalanced in the
"with blue" rendering, but look nicer to me in the "no blue" rendering
because at least their flat bottoms are aligned.

Thanks,

-miles

--
Barometer, n. An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we
are having.